One of the reasons why manufacturers and distributors in Canada work extensively with vinyl windows is because these windows are supposed to be easier to maintain and upkeep in comparison to aluminum or wood windows. Unlike wood, vinyl doesn’t rot, fade or lose colour over time. It doesn’t freeze up or get cold, like aluminum. Windows manufactured from virgin PVC should look the same 25 years after they are installed as they did on the day of the installation. And like most products manufactured from vinyl, these windows don’t require extensive knowledge or special training.
When it is the time to clean your new vinyl windows just follow our cleaning tips to restore your windows to their original factory look.
Tips for thoroughly cleaning vinyl windows:
- Vacuum around the window frame and sash to get as much dust off as possible to avoid streaking and to get rid of all the particles that may scratch the glass.
- Clean the frames and glass with a mild soap and water mixture or other window tailored cleaning solution. Please do not use harmful chemicals or rough cleaners. If unsure test first in the corner. All the special Ecoline coatings are designed to withstand the everyday elements and will not come off during regular cleaning.
- After washing the window, simply rinse with clear water, and wipe dry with a soft cloth.
- It’s important to maintain the hardware of your window. We suggest that you lubricate the tracks and rollers annually.
- To avoid condensation build up always use exhaust fans in areas with high humidity (bathrooms, pool rooms, kitchen, etc.)
- To have your window operating flawlessly make sure that the sill or track is kept clean and debris-free; simply vacuum them during your regular clean up.
- Screen maintenance should only be done with a soft brush and a mild soap and water mixture. After cleaning, rinse with clean water and wipe dry.
Cleaning Window Glass
Vinyl windows look best if they are cleaned on a regular basis, here are some techniques for getting a clean, streak-free window.
- Clean on a cloudy day, the sun dries out cleaning solution before you can wipe it causing streaks.
- Vacuum frame and sash beforehand to remove any accumulated dust.
- To clean glass, both inside and out, we suggest that you use any commercial glass cleaner or mild dish soap and lukewarm water.
- Wash one side of a window with horizontal strokes and the other side with vertical strokes so you can pinpoint which side of the window has a streak.
- When cleaning with a squeegee make sure there are no metal edges to avoid any permanent damage to the surface of your window.
- When finished, rinse with clear water and wipe dry with a soft cloth. To give an extra shine to window glass, polish it with well-washed cotton T-shirts or crumpled newspaper. The paper also leaves a film that’s resistant to dirt.
- Wash windows from the top down to prevent drips.
Check out these window replacement resources:
Check out our gallery of finished window projects
Learn why you purchase with confidence when you go with Ecoline